Little Boxes

 Small-scale treasure chests– they sit amidst our furnishings, keeping safe our possessions. Beneath the lids may be valuable jewels or sentimental keepsakes. Sometimes they are places for homeless parts that are missing their objects; lost but now found buttons; foreign coins or for old cards. Myself, I even have a box for deceased but still beautiful beasts: a dragonfly, a bumble bee, a few butterfly wings.

Even more fascinating are the boxes where others keep their hidden treasures. A box always invites you to lift the lid, often without giving any clues as to what might be inside. Regularly the only clues are the size of the container and the context of its placement. Very few hints indeed, so there always remains a sense of anticipation before the lid is opened and its ingredients are revealed.
When I visit other people's homes I am always drawn, Pandora like, towards these little hiding places and it is only the inhibitions of adulthood and learnt social niceties that prevent me from lifting the lid... most of the time.

I have begun to experiment with miniature paintings, to decorate these much-loved wooden pockets.
This is a first attempt, and one from which I have already learnt a lot. I may need smaller paint brushes and a magnifying glass to get the detail I really desire, but it is a step towards a much bigger project that, for now, is cocooned and waiting for the right time to emerge.

The original image is only two-and-a-third inches (6cm) in diameter.


A Simple Shelter








Comments

  1. I have just popped over on the recommendation of Mrs Black and boy I'm so glad I did. Your illustrations are wonderful and really capture a mood. I have looked through a few of your posts and what comes through is your great sensitivity toward nature and the seasons - and this clearly shines through in your work. I look forward to reading more x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just saw you at Mrs. Black's place! Awesome art! ~ so glad she shared!! Lovely, and fascinating, and bearing closer inspection! Delighted to find you! :)))) Melody

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your lovely comments, you cannot know how timely, and how very much appreciated they are, bless you both x Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very fascinated with your lovely miniature paintings ! I found you through Melody Lorraines blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Willow, ( one of my favourite names ),
      I have just got a book on Russian Laquer boxes....now they were really small....I need to find a one hair brush!

      Delete
  5. Well, it's safe to say that I ADROE your art. If I had any disposable income (alas, I don't!), I'd buy out your etsy shop.

    Also, may I interview you for Spinning Straw into Gold?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Christie....and yes I'd be honoured to do an interview for Spinning Straw.

      I haven't had the time to go through your entire blog yet...just a skip and a pause here and there...but already I am wondering...Do you have any books up your sleeve?

      Delete
    2. LOL, on yes, many embryonic stories, but one in particular that is undergoing major remodeling in its second draft. It's hard work, but I do love it so!

      Please e-mail me at GreenInkling@gmail.com, and I will send you the interview questions. Thanks for agreeing to the interview! I truly want Spinning Straw into Gold to be a community.

      I shared your Baba Yaga illustration with a friend whose poetry collection for his Masters in Fine Art thesis was titled Baba Yaga. His comment was "YES." c:

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts